?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

I'm Peeved

The Bristol-Burlington Health District just posted for the H1N1 flu clinics for the next two weeks. They still have not received any vaccine for the six to twenty-four month crowd. As far as I know, my pediatrician hasn't received any *at all.*

Please stop shilling that my child is in the highest risk group and that if I want to protect her I will get her vaccinated. I'd love to. Instead, TELL ME HOW.

Okay, I'm done now. Thank you for letting me get that off my chest.

Tags:

Comments

( 6 comments — Leave a comment )
hugh_mannity
Nov. 12th, 2009 08:45 pm (UTC)
I thought that the vaccine was contra-indicated in under 2-year olds.
kls_eloise
Nov. 12th, 2009 09:14 pm (UTC)
Under two can't have the intra-nasal, because that's live, attenuated virus. Under six months can't have it at all. Six months to two years get the injectable, killed virus. The problem is that my health district hasn't received any.

In theory, the juvenile shots are supposed to be reserved for the under 24 month crowd, with children between two and six years getting the intra-nasal. In practice, a co-worker's pediatrician got so much that she got a choice of which to give her children.

I'm not grumpy about the shortage - the stuff grows as fast as it grows, and wanting it to won't make it go any faster. I'm grumpy about distribution (although I also acknowledge that no matter WHAT they do about that, *someone* is going to be grumpy. Just the way it is.)

Hopefully something good that will come out of all of this would be a review of distribution practices for situations like this. It could be SO much worse.
hugh_mannity
Nov. 12th, 2009 09:24 pm (UTC)
Hmmmm... If you had it and she didn't get it, chances are she's developed her own immunity anyway.
kls_eloise
Nov. 12th, 2009 09:45 pm (UTC)
I'm counting on that at the moment. That's why I'm peeved, not panicked. I know two people with kids on respirators at the CT Children's Medical Center.
ladypeyton
Nov. 12th, 2009 09:03 pm (UTC)
Amen.
galingale
Nov. 13th, 2009 08:39 pm (UTC)
My pediatrician's also got no idea when they might get any...and we've got need to hold out for the injectable because of Rob's Mom. "Underlying medical conditions" and all that...no need to give her any more exposure than she already gets from her schoolkids. (And she doesn't kiss her schoolkids anyway!)

Rob still thinks he had it this September and just had a false negative on his flu swab. (20% false negative...yeegads...I wish the lottery gave those chances.) As you, I'm hoping that helps V.
( 6 comments — Leave a comment )