When Bob has a job again - and I need all of you to think really, really, really good thoughts for that for a few days - there are some things that I want. Okay, there are lots of things that I want, but this is the short list.
- Some new bookcases from Ikea. I've got perfectly workable bookcases, but I could do better. Right now the paperbacks are stacked double deep in order to actually utilize all of the air space inside the bookcase. That's efficient for storage, but not for browsing or access. Ikea will sell me extra shelves that will do the job much more nicely. It'll look nicer also. This particular desire is a splurge - about $500 for all the pieces I want, but I really, really want to redo that corner of the library. It would be so cool. Also, in the course of reshelving them I could scan them into LibraryThing AND weed out the ones I don't want any longer. Oh - and I could dust them.
- Brakes for my car. They've been making alarming noises for a while now, although my husband claims not to hear it. They're not squealing, but I just feel like the car needs to go visit the mechanic. Yes, I know that putting brakes *after* bookcases is probably not prudent. It DOES say a lot about the kind of person I am, though.
- Teeth cleaning for Nishka. Much as I hate to subject an almost 15 year old cat to anesthesia, she really needs her teeth cleaned. They don't appear to bother her, but the plaque is bad and her breath is terrible. Unfortunately her bloodwork expired a few weeks ago, so it'll be not one but two very expensive visits.
- Molding/casing for the downstairs bathroom. It's been a construction zone for a while, and it would be nice to have it done. Possibly even a proper door with a door knob! That puts it into the Master Plan (Doors) list though, so it may need to wait a bit longer. Doors are expensive, and we need a lot of them.
- Heavy duty shelves for the basement to store the pavilions and such. We were actually going to do that earlier in the winter, and then the Bilco door got covered with a few feet of snow. That'll have to wait until the snow thaws and the mud firms up.
- A swingset for Charlotte. Mom told me to get one last fall, but I don't want to get one until I know that we get to stay in the house. Then I can pick one out and Grandma and Grandpa will get it for her.