?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Fuzzy Little VANDALS!!!

All flush with success and pleased with myself, I sent pictures off to my father.  My intention was "see - we found it, we're fixing it, we did it ourselves!"

Harumph.

*Dad* was looking at my photos - which had flash.  And he's looking at them larger than life on the monitor.  *I* am looking at the actual hole, inside the wall.  In shadow.  Dad noticed something I didn't.

Yes, it's out of focus, but do you see what he saw?  Here's a hint - look at the electrical wire, not the hole.



The little bastards chewed through the insulation and into the wire.  That led me to go look at the other side of the stud bay.



That side is even worse.  So.  For a next step, we're going to move forward with the top patch, because there's nothing bad happening up there - Bob is getting everything together right now.  We'll foam the hole to the outside, just to exclude the furry Visigoths (also, Great Stuff will act as an insulator for the exposed wire.)  We're going to Not Screw With the wire going between the stud bays until Dad can come visit.  We'll use the piece of removed drywall to cover over the hole and keep curious fingers and whiskers safe, and Dad will come help with wiring repair.  When that is done, I can patch the bottom hole.

I'm kind of wondering if they weren't able to get back out because they were electrocuting themselves.  But I would think that would have tripped the breaker.  Who knows?

Ah - the fun of homeownership.

Tags:

Comments

( 6 comments — Leave a comment )
galingale
May. 28th, 2011 08:32 pm (UTC)
Wow. Have you realized yet how lucky you guys are? You discovered this BEFORE an electrical fire. Thank goodness.
kls_eloise
May. 28th, 2011 09:59 pm (UTC)
Oh yes. This is why rodents are evil.
kamau_d_lyon
May. 29th, 2011 12:21 pm (UTC)
Whoa! If I read what you plan correctly DO NOT SIMPLY FOAM THE WIRE. That needs to be replaced. All putting foam will do is give the heat possibly generated when the wire shorts a flammable substance to start a very bad fire with. The wire needs to be replace. I know you probably down want to hear that believe me it is the best and safest course of action. The expense of an electrician is far less then the loss of a house or worse.
kls_eloise
May. 29th, 2011 01:41 pm (UTC)
Ah - let me be more specific. As *temporary* measure to keep further rodents out, the hole to the exterior has been foamed with electrical specific, fire-stop rated foam. As soon as dad can come up we'll pull that run of wire and replace it.

Also, as far as we can see without fishing in there more than we want to at this point, the only bit exposed in *that* hole appears to be the ground wire. Not good, but not as bad as it could be. The wire crossing between the stud bays appears to be in worse shape, and we're just not touching that until the time comes to replace it entirely.

Needless to say, I'm glad we opened up the wall. This is how rodents burn houses down.
kamau_d_lyon
May. 29th, 2011 04:27 pm (UTC)
*Sighs with relief
Ok, you had me worried just a bit. Sounds like a good plan and I hope it doesn't cause you too much trouble when you get to doing it.
pippagrey
Jun. 11th, 2011 06:29 pm (UTC)
Reading the posts in order, two weeks after the fact, and the mouse chew was the first thing I noticed. We had mice eat the wires in the first house in Ireland. Flames shooting out of the electrical socket was ... interesting. The builders didn't believe us till they pulled the wire and found many, many teeth marks. We never smelled anything thankfully, and being '70s Irish construction, it was cinderblock and equally thankfully, not very flammable.
( 6 comments — Leave a comment )